I have mixed feelings about this one, ambivalence really --- this is not such a big deal, as is not a specific milestone like 13 (Bar Mitzvah), 21, 30 or 40 was, and we have so much other stuff going on this year that our birthdays seem less vital. But hey we are alive and well and still having birthdays, so all is good.
So as this day is no huge deal (um, for the record, still accepting gifts, people), let's turn to the expertise of google to learn more about the year I came into the world crying and screaming and drooling and waving my arms around maniacally... yep, some things never change...
Let's see, I'm turning 31, so that takes us back to... ok, not really...
What happened in 1966, the year I was born?
- Ronald Reagan became governor of California
- John Lennon met Yoko Ono
- Cindy Crawford, Adam Sandler, Mike Tyson and Halle Berry were born
- Walt Disney died (isn't he frozen somewhere...)
- A Man For All Seasons won the best picture Oscar (has been on tons of 'best of' lists and, oops, haven't seen it)
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas first appeared on television (love it, own it, seen it a billion times)
- Frank Sinatra's Strangers in the Night and the Beatles' Good Vibrations were the biggest hit songs of the year (really?)
- Batman debuted on TV (biff! boom! ka-pow!)
- The Flintstones ended (and yet goes on forever...)
- Valley of the Dolls was published (classic trash, loved it)
- Star Trek made its debut (and was re-invented yet again last year with a great new film)
So for my birthday, how am I spending the day? I am going to work and then we are going out for a nice birthday dinner and then maybe some ice cream or cake... make that ice cream and cake...
... and then one of these days I am gonna rent that damn movie A Man For All Seasons and see what all the fuss is about. I mean, have seen Star Wars like 130 times, and Weekend at Bernie's at least five times, so can squeeze the occasional classic in...